4/03/2020



Part V  Undressed Under Duress
             Long John by D. Bethel


Are you by chance familiar with the web comic, “Long John?” If not, let me introduce you to a twenty-first century version comic book for adults. “Long John,” published on the internet, is a western created, written and illustrated by D. Bethel. As I understand it, Bethel is not only a superb (web) comic book writer / illustrator but is also a speaker and a professor at Cal State Sacramento teaching Composition and Rhetoric. In his spare time he produces a podcast and can be found on facebook. A very busy man. His passion, however, is a gunfighter who runs around in his long underwear. The protagonist is a rather large, intimidating gunslinger whose clothes are stolen as he slept. He is forced to roam eastern California and western Nevada in only his union suit. Here's Bethel in his own words: “Long John is a western webcomic about Long John, a famous gunslinger, who wakes up one morning with no friends, no clothes, no weapons, and no explanation.
"Losing every thing...
...changes everything.


"Illustrated in a style that could best be described as a cartoonish Picasso painting with drifting facial features and chaotic proportions. But that was it; Long John was just a cowboy in his underwear.” ...D. Bethel.
As "Long John" developed, however, it has become more than “a cowboy in his underwear.” The underlying themes of Bethel's comic for me is much more. He adroitly establishes his character's union suit as his armor. This knight must now go through life, puzzled but determined. Yes, a knight. Maybe not one in shining armor but a type of armor none the less. Instead of a lance, he utilizes a fast gun and his fists. His quest is not a dragon or a damsel in distress but a desire to find out who he is, what's to become of him. Don't we sometimes go through life "undressed under duress?"

Bethel says the development of his protagonist was a “surprising and rewarding experience.” He first met Long John in a 2002 dream.
For me "Long John" is like my dream where I appear in public in just my underwear or, horrors, naked. Enjoy Bethel's "Long John" and see if you don't relate. Bethel not only draws a great web comic, he takes pains to explain to the reader his thoughts behind the frames. “Long John” is now in a Fourth Book you can purchase. Information about this entertaining gunfighter who goes through life in his union suit, defying great odds, and overcoming a bunch of ornery bad guys can be found on facebook and at: http://www.longjohncomic.com

Photos and illustrations used with permission of the author.


On April 8th, D. Bethel wrote in his webcomic:


In a bit of fun, unexpected news, Long John was highlighted the other day on a union suit appreciation blog, “Union Suit Fans in the Limelight.”


Chris commented on the sight awhile ago and brought to my attention his blogs and asked if he could feature the comic at some point. There was, of course, no reason to deny that and I found his write up particularly thoughtful and interesting. Though I don’t consider myself an enthusiast of union suits (long johns, for those confused by the term), I am happy with the knowledge that those who are can find much to appreciate in the comic. 
Thanks again for the feature, Chris!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the feature! You certainly cut to the heart of what drives the comic and I'm so glad you enjoy it. I hope your readers get the chance to check it out as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D. Bethel: I've enjoyed so much your comic, "Long John," I just had to pass it on to my readers. Hope my summary and your panels I chose does it justice. All the best and I look forward to future episodes... Chris

      Delete